-1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices -salt -Lots of olive oil (eggplants absorb the oil really quickly so you have to re-pour every once in a while) -8 ounces ricotta cheese -6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese -1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese -1 egg, beaten -One bunch of chopped fresh basil -One can of tomato sauce or tomatoes diced
1. Sprinkle both sides of the eggplant slices with salt. Place slices in a strainer, and place a dish underneath it to capture liquid that will sweat out of the eggplant. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to about 350 deg. Mix the ricotta, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese; then mix in egg and basil.
3. Rinse the eggplant in cold water. In a large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Place one layer of eggplant in the pan, brown each side. Do this with all the slices, adding additional oil if necessary.
4. In an aluminum foil lined pan, spread the tomatoes reserving the juices. Put a single layer of eggplant slices on top. Top the layer of eggplant slices with 1/2 of the cheese mixture. Put another layer of eggplant on top of the cheese and pour the remaining tomato juice and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake 30 to 45 minutes in the oven, until the tomato sauce is bubbly.